Friday, March 12, 2010

That first date feeling

A friend of mine recently had a first date and we were discussing her excitement about the possibility of a new relationship. She asked did I think she was crazy for thinking that this could lead to something real or that she was excited. My short answer to her was “no.” My long answer was me explaining why I thought it was a good thing to see the positive in a new beginning by telling her a story (which I’ll tell at another time. Have to have some mystery).

I’m excited for her. I love the start of new beginnings. It’s been so long since I have had a real first date that I may not know how to act. It’s kind of like Erykah Badu’s “Kiss Me on My Neck:”

I want somebody to walk up behind me
And kiss me on my neck and breathe on my neck
I want somebody to walk up behind me
And kiss me on my neck and breathe on my neck
Been such a long time
I forgot that I was fine

But it’s nothing like that first date feeling. You, or at least I, are always anxious and wanting him to see the real you up front so there will be no surprises later. I want to be sexy but at the same time comfortable. I want him to see my serious side but at the same time be fun and easy going. I seem to want a lot on that first date…lol. I guess it’s not so much a first date feeling as the feeling you have in the beginning when everything is new and the two of you are learning about each other. I hope my friend enjoys this beginning. She deserves it.

Now, I don’t mean she should be planning a wedding or naming their kids, but life is short and should be enjoyed. She won’t know if this will lead anywhere if she doesn’t think positive in the beginning, besides if you aren't excited at the possibility of something real then really what’s the point? I think she should be really excited and take the time to enjoy her new found romance.

We are at an age that we are looking for long lasting relationships. Why would you want to be in a relationship that doesn’t excite you? The problem is that more times than not, we don’t meet men who want the same thing; they may be looking for the excitement part but not the long lasting relationship. We are also at the age where we can quickly and easily recognize those men. At times, one or two slips through, but hindsight is 20/20 and if you look closely---there were signs.

I am going to live---for now----vicariously through her. So until next time, live, love, laugh, and cry…

1 comment:

  1. Ok, I had to comment! I so love that song. I cant wait to have that feeling again...Im going to b texting on the sly..LOL....

    ReplyDelete