Thursday, March 25, 2010

Handing out pink slips

I got a text from a friend of mine that said she owed me a drink and when was I available. First off, let me say that if I call you friend then that’s exactly what you are and there is no in between and secondly, whether she said she owed me a drink or not, catching up with her is always great. She is a wife, mother of 5, and road runner; so, I asked her when was she available. We decided to meet up at 6 and four hours later the conversation was still going strong and I would have until they put us out EXCEPT for the fact I had an exam that was due by 11:59. Which brings me to the point of this entry: that messy, no good enemy called procrastination.

I often joke that I am the QUEEN of Procrastination, but after the last 2-3 months, I think that may be more accurate than I like. I have deadlines and because I have the time, I put it off and usually until the LAST possible second, literally. So, not a good look. I am realizing how much of life I am missing because of procrastination. There have been a lot of events, functions, conversations, etc. that I have missed out on because I waited to do something that needed to be done and could have already been done. That was even more evident last night. Four hours is just not enough time to spend catching up with a love one.

I can pretty much pin point the reasons why I do much of what I do or act the way I do, but with procrastination, I’m just stumped. I have no clue when, where, how, or why. The fact is I HATE the feeling I have waiting to the last minute. I’m anxious and nervous and feel very pressured and not at ease. I also think that is why I don’t sleep well. My mind is constantly racing and usually deals with the fact that there is something I need to do or remembering that is due.

Now, that I recognize there really is a problem, I can work to correct, fix or alter it. Me, myself and I discussed things over and have come to a unanimous decision:

Dear Procrastination,

This will serve as your official notice that you are being terminated due to poor work performance and your unwillingness to be a team player. You hinder much of what could be great but for laziness. There is no need to reapply and you may not use us as a reference. This termination is effective immediately.

Management

I know this won’t be nearly as easy as tossing out last night’s left overs, but it is a start. So, until next time live, love, laugh and cry.

No comments:

Post a Comment